Startup investors are not magical fairies that are hard to find and catch. They are real people like you and me who are interested in your product or service and have the financial means to help you be a success.
Here are some simple steps to helping you meet more of the right kinds of people. If I ever learn how to meet fairies, I promise to let you know right away! 🙂
- Look through your cell phone contacts and pick out 3 people who you think are connected to others who would be interested in your product or service and who have seemingly deep pockets.
- Take each of your 3 contacts to coffee so you can ask them for advice about your product or service and making it a marketable reality.
- REALLY ask your 3 contacts for their advice. Most people love giving advice and you will probably learn some valuable lessons. 🙂
- Near the end of your coffee meeting ask your contact if they know 3 to 4 other people who are knowledgeable about your product or service. They will usually come up with 1 or 2. Get connected and ask those new referrals to coffee for advice.
- While at coffee with the referrals, ask them for advice, etc. but also ask them if you can follow up as you make progress based on their advice.
- Don’t forget to ask them for 3 to 4 other people who are knowledgeable about your product or service.
Before long you will have a multiplying group of potential investors. Some will be asking you for the investment opportunity before you even get to pop the question.